Tuesday 25 February 2014

Responding to 'Here lies Arthur'

Please continue the discussion here from class about our learning from Philip Reeve's extract.



Here Lies Arthur
He left the horse tethered there, and hustled me away through the woods. All he took with him

was the sword, bundled in its roll of cloth. The air was growing cold. Myrddin nodded and said,

“There will be a mist upon the water.”

How could he know such a thing? What demons told him so?

“You’ll be wondering how I came into Arthur’s service, I suppose?” he asked, striding ahead of

me through the thickets.

I’d been wondering no such thing. It was no place of mine to wonder about his life. But I knew

that he was going to tell me all the same. I sensed he was nervous, and that talking for him

was a way of keeping fear at bay.

“It’s a good story,” he promised, talking at me over his shoulder as he went stalking through

the wood. His breath fumed in the cold air, wreathing him in smoke. “You should hear how the

men tell it round their campfires. They say I worked for Arthur’s father, that old villain Uthr, who

was captain of Ambrosius’s cavalry. It seems this Uthr had an eye for the girls, and one spring

it lighted on one called Ygerna, that was wife to some small lord down in Kernyw. Lust lit up

his brain like a gorse-fire. You could see the smoke pouring out of his ears. But what to do?

Ygerna’s husband was jealous. Kept her penned in his fort and let no man come near her.

“So Uthr called on me, and on my powers. One night, when his rival was off raiding some

neighbours’ cattle-runs, I transformed Uthr by magic into his image, and he slipped into the fort

and into Ygerna’s bed without anyone guessing. And the child conceived that night was Arthur,

and his victories outshine old Uthr’s as the sun outshines the moon.”

Shoving my way through dead bracken at the magician’s heels, listening to all of this, I wished

I could just make a run for it, and take my chances with whatever wild beasts and wicked

spirits lived in this maze of trees. Running had always served me well before. But running from

Myrddin would be different, wouldn’t it? If he had the power to transform one man into the

likeness of another, then he could surely catch me and transform me into anything he chose. A

frog. A toad. A stone.

“Of course, it’s all nonsense,” Myrddin said. “You’ll have to learn that, Gwyna. Just because

someone tells a story doesn’t mean it’s true. I have no magic powers. I’m just a traveller who

has picked up a few handy conjuring tricks along the road.”

“Then how did you change Uthr into another man?” I asked.
 
 
“That’s what I’m telling you, girl. It never happened. Old Uthr took that fort by force, and carried

off Ygerna along with all his other trophies. Probably tired of her within a week. There’s no

difference between Arthur and any other of Uthr’s landless bastards, except that Arthur has me

to spin stories like that one about him. You see, Gwyna, men do love a story. That’s what we’re

going to give them this morning, you and I. A story they’ll remember all their lives, and tell to

their children and their children’s children until the whole world knows how Arthur came by the

sword of the otherworld. And here we are!”

We had reached the pool. Late afternoon sun lit the oak-tops on the far shore, but the water lay

in shadow, and a faint silver breath of mist hung above it, just as Myrddin had promised.

How had he known? He had just said he could not work magic, but how else could he have

seen into the future?

A horn sounded, away downriver. Myrddin hurried me along the shore. We pushed through

undergrowth. The armoured leaves of a holly-tree scratched my face. A narrow ledge of

rock led to the waterfall. Ferns grew thickly here. The spray rattled on their leaves. Fleshy and

pointed they were, like green tongues. Among them, almost hidden, I saw a faint path snaking

in behind the water’s white curtain.

Myrddin turned and put the swaddled weight of the sword into my hands. Then he took me

by both shoulders and stooped to stare into my face. Dark as good rich earth, his eyes were,

and a quick to-and-fro flicker in them like the dancing of candle-flames as he watched me,

searching, expectant.

“They are coming. I’ll tell you what you must do, little fish, and you must listen well.”

The sun crept west, and the tree-shadows shifted on the far shore. I crouched alone on the

damp, narrow shelf behind the waterfall. The shout of falling water filled my head, but the

spray barely touched me. It was a magic place. From a few paces away I must be invisible, yet

I could look out through the water-curtain and see Myrddin quite clearly as he paced about in

the sunlight on the eastern shore.

His face turned suddenly in my direction. He was too far off for me to make out his features, but

I guessed it was a warning look. I looked at the trees behind him, and after a moment I saw

light on metal, and the shapes of men on horses. They came out of the woods in a line, wary.

Round white shields with the symbol of Christ on them, , in red. Arthur’s men. I looked for the

sandy-haired one called Cei who had come to Myrddin earlier, but I could not tell which was

him. The riders had their helmets on, and most rode white horses, and all wore red cloaks.

I knew Arthur when I saw him though. A red horse-tail fluttered from his helmet, and between

the cheek-guards his teeth flashed in a white grin as he urged his horse down the shingle

into the shallows. He was talking to Myrddin, but I could not hear their voices. Then someone

pointed across the pool towards the western side. More riders were coming down through the

trees on the steep hillside there, and men on foot ran lightly between them. Spears and hunting

bows. A big man with a black beard riding ahead of the rest. He stopped, and his men with

him. They looked at Arthur’s band. Some waved their weapons and shouted. Insults, I suppose,

now I think back. Men stand taunting each other for hours sometimes before a fight begins.

But there was to be no fight. Myrddin was holding up his arms, shouting something back over

the water. He swept his hand across the pool, reminding the Irishman’s men that this was a

magic place, a gateway to the otherworld. Telling them that that was why Arthur had come

here, to pay his respects to their gods.

Now Arthur was dismounting, handing the reins of his horse to a boy who came running

forward to take them. I could see men on both shores looking at each other in surprise as

Arthur walked into the pool.

I said little prayers under my breath as I slipped off my old wool dress and wadded it into a

crack of the rock behind me. I gripped the sword Caliburn in its oilcloth wrapper and took

deep breaths. I didn’t think I had the courage to do what Myrddin had ordered, but I hadn’t

the courage to disobey him, either. The air was cold. The water would be colder. I shuffled on

my bottom to the edge of the rock shelf and let myself drop into the whirl of foam under the

waterfall.

“They’ll all be watching the Bear,” Myrddin had said. “Not every day you see a great warlord

take a bath in all his gear. Or out of it, for that matter. No one will see you.”

I hoped he was as right about that as he had been about the mist.

I surfaced cautiously under the fall. Water drilled down white all round me. For a moment,

confused by the swirling and the noise, I didn’t know which way I was facing. Then I saw Arthur

pushing across the pool towards me. He was up to his chest; up to his shoulders. In the middle

of the lake he had to half swim, which he did awkwardly, weighed down by his armour, his red

cloak spread on the water behind him. Then, as he entered the tongue of rippled, roiling water

that spread from the foot of the fall, the pool shallowed again and he rose up standing, waves

lapping at his chest. Just as Myrddin had promised me he would.

I ducked under water, as I’d been told to. It was easy to stay down with the weight of the sword

in my hands and no clothes to float me up. My bare feet sank into the thick dough of leaf mould

on the bottom. I blundered forward with my eyes open, scrambling through the crown of an old

drowned tree, slithering in its slimy, rotted bark, stirring up such a tumble of peaty flakes that

for a moment I could see nothing at all. And then, close ahead of me, I saw the square gleam

of Arthur’s belt-buckle, the tower of his armoured torso. I blinked the grit from my eyes and

looked up and saw his head and shoulders high above me, out in the air. For a moment our

eyes met. His were wide under the iron eyebrows of his helmet. Wide and filled with wonder

and something that I did not recognize, because never in my life had anyone been afraid of

me before. Then my own long hair swirled up over my head and hid him. My lungs were drum

skins, and my heart was pounding on them.

“Do it slowly, gracefully,” Myrddin had told me. But when I tore the oilcloth wrapping from the

sword it almost floated free, so I had to snatch it down and stuff it between my knees and poke

the sword up with my spare hand. I felt it break the surface. My hand, out in the air, felt even

colder than the rest of me. The sword was too heavy. I could feel it wobbling. My fingers were

so numb that I knew I couldn’t keep a grip much longer on the wet hilt. Why didn’t he take it

from me? Bubbles seeped from the corners of my mouth. Why didn’t he take it?

He took it. I snatched my empty hand back into the world of fishes and used it to clinch my nose

shut, holding the air inside me until I had swum back under the plunge of the fall, where I could

surface again. I gulped down a mix of air and water and scrambled to the rock shelf, not a bit

like a fish or an otter or any other water-thing, but frantic and graceless. I was too cold to care

if anyone saw me or not as I climbed up into my hiding place. But when I looked back through

the falling water, they were all watching Arthur slosh ashore, holding Caliburn high over his

head so that it burned with sun-fire. Some waved their arms; some ran about. Their mouths

wide open in their beardy faces, shouting things I couldn’t hear.

I found my clothes and crawled into them, and felt no warmer. I lay down on the damp stone

behind the waterfall and hugged myself and shuddered, and my teeth rattled, rattled, rattled.
 

28 comments:

  1. I think the poem gives a lot of messages as we said in the lesson but as you read on you discover more. Another thing that I really like is the way the writer gives this lovely impression of this 'lady of the lake' it gives very descriptive words so you can make a clear image of how the character looks. Overall this text is a very descriptive and gives powerful thoughts towards the reader.

    Celina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Celina, Personally i think ( similarly to my thoughts on the bible) that the writer has put in messages, lessons and morals to control our views and how we treat others and life. I agree that the writers impression of the lady of the lake is an interesting one. I love how it is unique and very imaginative and has a twist on the tale of Excalibur! What i did was instead of reading this i copied and pasted it into one of those things that reads it out, like you type and it says and i listened. The reason i did this was because you can really focus on what is written and i closed my eyes and imaged being the character, imagining what i must feel like and i couldn't help holding my breath when she ducked under!
      Julia :) sorry if this doesn't come up :)

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Celina, Personally i think ( similarly to my thoughts on the bible) that the writer has put in messages, lessons and morals to control our views and how we treat others and life. I agree that the writers impression of the lady of the lake is an interesting one. I love how it is unique and very imaginative and has a twist on the tale of Excalibur! What i did was instead of reading this i copied and pasted it into one of those things that reads it out, like you type and it says and i listened. The reason i did this was because you can really focus on what is written and i closed my eyes and imaged being the character, imagining what i must feel like and i couldn't help holding my breath when she ducked under!
      Julia :) I don't know if it came up or not!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you Celina, Personally i think ( similarly to my thoughts on the bible) that the writer has put in messages, lessons and morals to control our views and how we treat others and life. I agree that the writers impression of the lady of the lake is an interesting one. I love how it is unique and very imaginative and has a twist on the tale of Excalibur! What i did was instead of reading this i copied and pasted it into one of those things that reads it out, like you type and it says and i listened. The reason i did this was because you can really focus on what is written and i closed my eyes and imaged being the character, imagining what i must feel like and i couldn't help holding my breath when she ducked under!
      Julia :) it stil isn't coming up if you are wondering why my wording is almost identical is because i learnt the hard way, By loosing my work, So i wrote it on a word document

      Delete
  2. I think that stories can be changed over a long period of time. However I think the bible has been slightly edited to suit different types of readers, but the same message still gets through.
    Some people can have different interpretations of and story and quickly decide who they think the hero and villain are. For example the graphic novel of the Arthurian Legend, in those images we can easily tell who are the villain is, we know this because he is in the darkness! however some people could not notice this and think of him as a hero coming to save Arthur.
    Now referring back to the story of Jesus and the bible. The bible was written by 4 men called Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and all of these men recorded the miracles of Jesus on scrolls which they passed down through many years.

    Georgia Bardwell 8x3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Georgia. I agree because its easy to miss read something or miss out something but also people like to exaggerate to make it seem more exiting! I agree as there are lots of different versions of the bible, Th most famous being the one written by the disciples. I agree and love how you referred back to the graphic novel! I'm not sure but in the bible doesn't it have too section bc and ad? How could the disciples know so much that had happened before them in such great detail? I'm just going to throw that idea out there!
      Julia :) I hope this comes out but i will only try twice instead of the 7 times that i tried last time.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Georgia. I agree because its easy to miss read something or miss out something but also people like to exaggerate to make it seem more exiting! I agree as there are lots of different versions of the bible, Th most famous being the one written by the disciples. I agree and love how you referred back to the graphic novel! I'm not sure but in the bible doesn't it have too section bc and ad? How could the disciples know so much that had happened before them in such great detail? I'm just going to throw that idea out there!
      Julia :) Last time i'm trying because it didn't work last time :(

      Delete
  3. The lady of the lake is more believable in this story I might of got the wrong end of the stick here but in this story shes a almost mermaid like creature who is under the water but in other versions we concentrated more on exalibur than the lady I thought she was just a hand that just came out of the water but this one kind of describes her as a real water breathing woman it sounds more believable than just a hand coming out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really understand what you mean? but i get the last part. I reply to your comment i would put:
      There are many different and unique versions of the story. This is just one. There are many. A majority of the story's may refer to the lady of the lake as a mermaid like creature. This may be because it sounded more interesting than the other. Which would you tell your friends about?
      Apparently there are mystical mermaid like creatures hiding down in the depths of water.King Arthur has approached them ( with his magician Merlin and taken the magical sword ( Excalibur )to use!
      Or
      Some girl went to a lake with a fake magician and gave King Arthur the sword.
      Julia

      Delete
    2. Yay it came up first time haaalaluha! :) Sorry Julia

      Delete
  4. (Not sure if people have said this already but anyway)
    I think that any kind of stories that are made up, and go down the life line are not to be true. This is because they have changed over time. One I'm not sure is real, is Jesus, being Gods son. This is because it was brought down the life line too and people might of changed it to make Jesus have supernatural powers, and made him a God. It also may of been a story. made by someone on a normal day


    Mia Rosten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try looking up bible summery s or extracts or stories! Julia! Again sorry!

      Delete
  5. I think as time has gone on there has become different versions of this story and as different people have written it they have changed the perspective and the have written it from a different point of view.
    https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScnQRioVuNO2NCfmrtUcXUeCOBumUFJ90Wnsc9z5NCj60lpgkd
    This is a link for a picture of the lady of the lake. I found it quite interesting because she is holding a sawd.
    Ikra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find the link, Could you explain what its about and a bit more about how you fond it interesting?
      Julia

      Delete
  6. . I think that it is very interesting how History can be seen as His-story and it is a very good point. Also the fact that it says "You see, Gwyna, men do love a story. " This shows that men like to hear and make up story. Also the writer uses language such as Villain to persuade us that Uthr is a very bad man, Who is the one that we would want to side against. Before we had started reading the second page i guessed that the girl ( the person who's perspective it was written from.) Was something to do with the lady of the lake. I knew she is/was a girl ( as i pointed out in class) Because of the following extract ( i took it out of it i can't really call it a quote though.)"That’s what I’m telling you, girl." this shows that she is a girl as Myrddin/merlin said it. There are many different and unique versions of the story. This is just one. There are many. A majority of the story's may refer to the lady of the lake as a mermaid like creature. This may be because it sounded more interesting than the other. Which would you tell your friends about?
    Apparently there are mystical mermaid like creatures hiding down in the depths of water.King Arthur has approached them ( with his magician Merlin and taken the magical sword ( Excalibur )to use!
    Or
    Some girl went to a lake with a fake magician and gave King Arthur the sword. its easy to miss read something or miss out something but also people like to exaggerate to make it seem more exiting! I agree as there are lots of different versions of the bible, Th most famous being the one written by the disciples. I agree and love how you referred back to the graphic novel! I'm not sure but in the bible doesn't it have too section bc and ad? How could the disciples know so much that had happened before them in such great detail? I'm just going to throw that idea out there! Personally i think ( similarly to my thoughts on the bible) that the writer has put in messages, lessons and morals to control our views and how we treat others and life. I agree that the writers impression of the lady of the lake is an interesting one. I love how it is unique and very imaginative and has a twist on the tale of Excalibur! What i did was instead of reading this i copied and pasted it into one of those things that reads it out, like you type and it says and i listened. The reason i did this was because you can really focus on what is written and i closed my eyes and imaged being the character, imagining what i must feel like and i couldn't help holding my breath when she ducked under!
    Julia Ps
    Here are some links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o4viqGUtrw Although its only 20 seconds long its really effective

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not quite sure if i do believe in stores like this because no one has enough proof to back these stories up. in class we discussed the stories about Jesus and God. i do believe in these stories because there is the bible and Churches to help back these stories up, also i am Protestant so it is my religion to believe them as well. I also agree with Celina when she says that the more you read on the more you understand it. Also there are many different interpretations to suggest different things, so i do not know which one to believe.

    Isabella A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that church gives us proof but what do we know abut the bible, like who wrote it. How could we know for sure that they knew (in great detail) About a time that they had not lived in nor had much evidence that existed ( the way that they say it is! ) Julia

      Delete
  8. My interpretations have changed about the extracts that we have heard about the story of Arthur. I don't know whether I believe in it as much as i did before because there are so many different versions of the story; poem, story, comic strip etc and time has passed by too. After reading the passage today about if the story was true or not it made me think. I didn't know a lot about Arthur as before and he as a king might be real, but not the story. My favourite one to read was probably the poem though, because it was fun and easy to understand.

    Lily A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here are some interesting links:
    http://www.coffeeandcliffhangers.com/2010/04/arthurian-legend.html
    I love this link because of the picture and the picture only. The reason why i love the picture is because it shows that king Arthur had earned it and that it was a great honer to revive the sword. Also the lady of the lake is knighting him so it adds to the fact that she is giving it to him, but as an honer so that we may see as equal to something that we understand
    http://merryfarmer.net/2012/04/09/medieval-monday-king-arthur-and-the-birth-of-the-romance-novel/#comments
    This link is not for the picture, but the content. It is rather simaler to the text we read in class
    http://www.firstfoot.com/scotchmyth/arthur.htm This link is too but has a slightly different view. The picture is from a roman version of Arthur
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/2218208/King-Arthur-is-propaganda-say-French.html I like the picture in this becasue it shows the romance with the lady behind, King A Receiving Excalibur and his relationship with his knights
    http://www.legendsofkingarthur.org/ Tells us many different versions
    Enjoy"!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not believe in God and I haven't my whole life. It has always been my choice. I do not believe in God because there is no proof he actually exists, the same as for Jesus. I think this is what this narrative is trying to get at. You shouldn't always believe a story because it may be false and made up by someone having a laugh or trying to impress their friends. You should always look up facts and research before you spread or believe something. (this is all from my own knowledge) Mia D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer that this story is written as a women, as I think 'His story' is feminist in ways that women can't tell or pass down stories. I was more interested in this story as I have never heard this story told like this before. The only thing is that this story may not be utterly true as that it has been passed down from many years it could of changed slightly every time, it is like chinese whispers you don't necessary always have the same word or phrase same with the story. Orla

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that this story is a bit more believable, compared to the one from 'His' point of view. If I had heard this story before the one about the lady of the lake being a magical underwater creature, then I do not think I would have thought so much about it being made up as this one does not mention any magical creatures, just a girl who had accidentally fallen into the lake.
    I do not believe in God/Jesus for more than one reason, 1. There isn't actually any proof that there was or is a God/Jesus (agreeing with Mia D) and 2. I don't believe that there are people with powers or abnormal abilities/features such, as mermaids and unicorns, although I wish there were unicorns and mermaids I do not believe there are any out there. This also linking with the story about the lady of the lake being one of those magical creatures/people which is just another reason why I do not believe it.
    I also agree with Orla about 'His-story' being a bit feminist as if women couldn't pass down or tell stories, however I think that from a women's point of view the story becomes more interesting. If in the past women were treated equally to men then maybe there would have been a lot more stories told and a lot more to tell, they may also be more realistic and more interesting to hear about.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Molly and Mia D at the fact that nothing is actually real until someone finds proof. For example, if someone thought that there was an old species of bird, they would then have to prove it with some sort of evidence like a skeleton or fossil. This means that the story is not real yet because nobody has proof of the event. The story may have started with a man finding a sword in a lake but to make the so called myth more exciting, over the many years, people have added the different sections like a fake magician and a mermaid. I know that some people are dedicated to finding evidence of mermaids and believe they have found such evidence but as yet this evidence is not excepted as being true.
    The myth would also have been told by simply talking. This would result in a very large scale of Chinese whispers. In the game a word or phrase and it ends up very different at the end of the chain. The story of 'The Lady of the Lake' may be just the same as the game because this story comes from way before the first attempt of recording something on paper so this story in my opinion, although is more believable than 'Excalibur', is still just a fictional story.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how it was written by a man, and yet it comes from the perspective of a woman.
    sofia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how the story is very descriptive yet in some ways hard to understand. I think after the lesson we had that I didn't believe in this story but even before that I didn't really believe it as much because of the way all these supernatural things are told. The thing I find interesting to think about though is that why did all these ''myths' happen before and why not now. We always think about if those things are true or not. All those things happened then and not now. So that's why I think then they made up things that were revolved around someone 'ordinary' and then they made them seem like a huge figure maybe for attention.
    Navya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of agree with Navya, i think they made up things that were revolved around something ordinary and made it into a more super natural story.

      Delete
  16. by the way that was from Ayse :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not really believe these stories because as everyone else has said it doesn't really have any back up to prove its real, as we said in the lessons we have had, this could be passed on to many people and changed throughout years so we do not really know whats true. I also like that its written by a man and its from a women's perspective as Sofia had said, I think the man must have gone round to women and asked them questions so he could have an idea on what to write for a women's perspective. Ayse

    ReplyDelete